Punicum was a Roman town mentioned in the table and away Peutinger 3Km south of the Roman colony of Castrum Novum (III sec.B.C.). Above the town stands today Odescalchi castle, built in stages between the eleventh and seventeenth century A.D. In 1839 the excavations were carried out in the castle on behalf of Donna Teresa Caetani Sermoneta duchess were shown the walls of a villa Imperial period and a long corridor of approximately 20m x 5m back from the sea led to a large space surrounded by a portico.The house was full of mosaic floor tiles with white-figured blacks and resting on a criptoportico (basement used for storage). From a leaden plate of the sewer you read an inscription that bears the name of Eneo Annio Domitius Ulpian, jurist Roman III sec.B.C. From other finds on the hill that is Evins ancient Punicum least from the first century AD had been built a seaside villa that is now remembered as the villa of Ulpian. The building as all the other villas of the Roman imperial times was equipped with fishing on the coast and adjacent marina. A portion of the wall of the marina was older and had to have belonged to the port town of (then first Etruscan Roman) of Punicum. Of the many statues found in the villa of Ulpiano, copies of Greek statues of sec.IV.B.C., we recall the most important today, unfortunately, are scattered in various museums mondo.Di of rare beauty are two sculptures of Meleager (III century A.D.) a high 209 cm (Altes Museum, Berlin) the other 120 cm high (Arthur M. Sacker Museum, Cambridge), followed by the two statues of Athena 182cm high (II century A.D.) Apollo and 185cm tall (I century A.D.)  ( Museum of Civitavecchia ) and finally the statue depicting Dionysus and Pan (III century A.D.) (Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, Copenhagen The case, which is fascinating (L. Walls, smaller studies of ancient history, Rome 1958.) That Punicum (lat.cartaginese) and Pyrgi (Santa Severa) were Phoenician trading even before Carthage to this day has not been reflected.Evidence is rather strong with the trade of Carthage from Etruria VI.sec.B.C. and the demonstration was provided with the discovery of two temples of Pyrgi gold foil with dual registration in Etruscan and Phoenician. The name Punicum should therefore result from the strong presence of commercial ships in the harbor of the Punic town, likely to exchange goods with the Etruscans of coastal pages (Punicum, Castellina's Cormorant, Ponton of Castro) in exchange for the mineral wealth extracted from the mountains of Tolfa. The hypothesis that the name of the town derives instead from the local presence of the sole of pomegranate (Punic bot.granata), whose Latin name was Punicum penalty should be reconsidered and brought within its framework of such trade. In fact, the pomegranate was introduced along the Tyrrhenian coast from Carthage by his trade. Today the Roman villa there are only faint traces the external part of the wall in opus reticulatum and small outlets of the drainage system.The construction of the castle led to the complete disappearance of the building surface.


       



Rollover Button Generator by Free-Buttons.org v2.0