In the town of Ladispoli in Marina di Palo is a roman villa, the area covering the size of 400 m x 200 m and touched the coastline.  From news Nibby A. (Historical and Topographical of the surroundings of Rome, 1849) we know that the building was once the moat between the stain of blood and Palo, and mistakenly assumed to be the villa of Pompeo Magno.  Excavations carried out later by Enrico Luigi Tocco (Bull.d.inst.1867) reveal a huge structure made mostly in opus mixtum.  L 'building had a series of gardens and small rooms are all connected, including impluvium (for rainwater harvesting), a triclinium (banquet room) and a hypocaustum (heated floor).  The floors were marble and mosaic in black and white, the columns were alternating brick and cement walls.  This structure is now visible in Piazza della Rugiada, while Albatros Street you see a tank with two collection tanks belonging to the villa.  Today the entire area has been built since the '60s and then the building has been lost in many parts.  We know that departed from the square about 134 m long two arcades leading to the house by the sea where there was a cryptoporticus about 4 m high with a floor above, two baths and other rooms devastated.  In 2002 during road works in Queen Street Promenade Elena emerged a square of 14 m and about 7 m on the outside of the inside.  This beautiful structure in black and white mosaic floor (board style) is a tank with a central base for a fountain and was once surrounded by a portico of twelve Ionic columns and on one side of the pond take another room while the other side there is an apse where he lived the nymph turned into a statue of a deity.  Most likely is the structure that E. Tocco he describes in his story, because from the plausible hypothesis that the appointment was leaving a temple portico along the coast leading to a brick wall structure in place a square of 4 m from the side with a spiral staircase to Inside that rose up around a column of bricks.







 











This structure still exists and is on the coast at the end of Via dei Delfini.  It is a tomb tower typical of the end of the Republican base and in the account of Pliny the Younger (Epistles X) should have been the tomb of Lucius Virginius Rufus died in 97 A.D. (remembered for giving up the throne in 68 A.D. Rome to remain faithful to the emperor Nero) that just had to Alsium a seaside villa.  According to findings of 2002 we can also say that the villa had an initial structure from the second century.  AC to take its current shape in the first century.  DC The house was burned very likely (as with other villas on the coast) with the sack of Rome in 410 AD by the Visigoths led by Alaric.











Rollover Button Generator by Free-Buttons.org v2.0