In the town of Civitavecchia, near the Baths of
Trajan Taurine or adjacent to a quarry of stones is an ancient tower
known as the steeple of St. Egidio. In truth they are the visible
remains of the church of St. Giulio dating back to 1300 A.D. and
belonged to 'Templar Order. Today only the tower remains visible
(originally 12 meters high), whose dimensions are 7 x 4 x 4 m, while
the few remaining walls were buried after an archaeological excavation
carried out by Salvatore Bastianelli in 1954 (at that time the tower
was restored ), the plan of the church was 10 x 20 m. The
building was a rural church with a single nave with an apse opposite
the entrance used as an altar and was the Via
Francigena (because he carried the pilgrims to Rome from France) that
going from Viterbo and Civitavecchia to Tolfa Vetralla conjoined.
The church was confiscated by the Knights Templar in 1309 A.D. because
of their process and ancient documents we learn that already in 1356
A.D. was called a ruin.